Saturday, September 05, 2009

A conversation with Billie Jean King



Here I was, meeting Billie Jean King at the U.S. Open tennis teacher's conference. Over 450 of the world's top tennis coaches attended to learn from the best coaches and teachers in the world. When I presented Billie Jean King with a gift from my brother and I of a commemorative poster from our world record she was not only impressed but wanted me to write the number of strokes, 25,944, on the poster. It was interesting because she was genuinely interested in our accomplishment and wanted to learn more about it.

Pat Etcheberry was another speaker, who was the fitness coach for Justin Henin when she was #1 in the world on the WTA Tour.

All in all what I realize is that it is much more powerful from a self-development standpoint to be open-minded and absorb ideas and reflect upon them than it is to either agree or disagree.

Photos from the conference at the US Open:
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/album.php?aid=118666&id=613586276&ref=nf